Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 16:59:37 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        cmott@srv.net, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Countering stack overflow

Michael Smith stands accused of saying:
> Charles Mott stands accused of saying:
> >
> > The only mechanism I have seen for an intruder to gain control of the
> > executable stream is to rewrite a return address on the stack.  I don't
> > see how an overflow of a malloc()'ed buffer can allow someone to gain
> > control of your machine.
>
> Think "change the behaviour of a function by altering its local
> variables".

I should have pointed out here that munging values on the heap is also
quite rewarding.  Try spewing "///////////////////.../path/filename" over
the heap on an application that you know writes a private logfile and keeps
the path to said logfile on the heap.

If you can provide bogus input that gets logged as part of the
message, you may even be able to control what gets put into the file,
again, depending on the application in question.

You don't have to 'take control' of a program to use it to compromise
system security.