Date:      Sat, 07 Nov 1998 11:14:34 +0100
From:      Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6ller?= <lkoeller@cc.fh-lippe.de>
To:        Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still freeze with 3.0-RELEASE, PLEASE give me any suggestions!!

This is a multipart MIME message.

--==_Exmh_-14575155040

----------

 > Hum ...
 >

 > Well, I did not read your mail carefully enough ...
 >
 > I've reinstalled my home box with 3.0-Release and cvsupped it recently,
 > but I don't have problems with the sound (or do I ? I'm still struggling
 > to hear a .wav recording made under Win'95 ... but I don't have time to
 > investigate this fully).
 >
 > could you summarize the problems you have (and more precisely the exact
 > combination of drivers which crash your machine) ?

Shure!

I add the working kernel config in the attachement, and the addition
of the sound config below, which leads to the instability. All the
other stuff works well, also the sound works well most of the time,
but suddenly the machine is frozen!

I spoke to the OSS team, and they mention, that there are some
problems with a kernel routine allocating kernel memory ....

>> From: 4Front Technologies <info@opensound.com>

>> This is a known problem.....we have found a major bug with FreeBSD 3.0 and
>> 2.2.7 for that matter and have notified the kernel group....thus far we haven't
>> heard anything.

>> THe problem seems to be in a kernel function call vm_page_alloc_contig() which
>> allocates kernel memory and for some reason it's not doing the right thing. OSS
>> requires this and every now and then we are given some bogus memory address by
>> the kernel and that's where it crashes.

>> Do stay tuned.

>> best regards
>> Dev Mazumdar

I dont know if it is the same problem with the old voxware driver?
But the OSS driver shows some similar problems also under 2.2.7 and
3.0. Only an older version 3.8s runns stable under 2.2.7!

Here are the lines of my kernel config which brings the instability
into the kernel.

#
# Audio drivers: `snd', `sb', `pas', `gus', `pca'
#
controller      snd0
device  sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device  sbxvi0  at isa? drq 5
device  sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
device  awe0    at isa? port 0x620

Any ideas?

Thanks and regards

Lars
--
E-Mail:                                     |  Lars Koeller
  Lars.Koeller@Uni-Bielefeld.DE              |  UNIX Sysadmin

--==_Exmh_-14575155040

#
# ODIE kernel config file
#

machine		"i386"
cpu             "I586_CPU"
cpu		"I686_CPU"		# aka Pentium Pro(tm)
ident		TEST
maxusers	32

config		kernel	root on da1

options         SMP             #Smmetric Multiprocessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO         #Smmetric (APIC) I/O

# Lets always enable the kernel debugger for SMP.
options         DDB

options		INET			#InterNETworking
options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3
options 	MAXCONS=8		#Number of max. allowed virt. consoles
options         QUOTA                   #enable disk quotas
options         SYSVSHM                 #System V shared memory support
options         SYSVSEM                 #System V Semophore support
options         SYSVMSG                 #System V Message support
options         UCONSOLE		#Allow ordinary users to take the
					#console - this is useful for X.
options		XSERVER			#include code for XFree86
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
options         KTRACE                  #kernel tracing

#
# ISA devices
#
controller	isa0

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive 1

#
# PCI devices
#
controller	pci0

options         SCSI_DELAY=15000	# Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device

# Adaptec 2940[U/UW] SCSI Adapter
controller	ahc0
controller      ahc1

# Devices connected
device		ch0
device		da0
device		sa0
device		cd0
device		pass0

# The syntax for wiring down devices is:
# AH2940 U
controller	scbus0	at ahc0

# Seagate ST15150N
disk            da0	at scbus0 target 0
disk            da1	at scbus0 target 1

# Seagate Python 28388, DDS2
tape            sa0	at scbus0 target 3

# PIONEER CD-ROM DR-U12X auf ID 4
device          cd0	at scbus?

# Adic Autochanger mit HP DAT, DDS2
device		ch0	at scbus0 target 5
tape            sa1	at scbus0 target 6

# AH 2940 UW
controller	scbus1	at ahc1
# Seagate ST32171W
disk            da2	at scbus1 target 8
disk            da3	at scbus1 target 9

# ps2 mouse
device		psm0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
options         SC_HISTORY_SIZE=512     # number of history buffer lines

device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" iosiz 0x0 flags 0x0 irq 13 vector npxintr

# sio1 (dcf-77)
# serial console
options         BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER	# a BREAK on a comconsole goes to DDB
options         CONSPEED=19200		#default speed for serial console (default 9600)
device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty flags 0x10 irq 4 vector siointr
device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

device		lpt0	at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device   ccd		4
pseudo-device   bpfilter	4
pseudo-device	pty		128
pseudo-device   snp             3    #Snoop device - to look at pty/vty/etc..
pseudo-device	gzip		     #Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device   vn                   #Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)

# i4b passive ISDN cards support (isic - I4b Siemens Isdn Chipset driver)
# note that the ``options'' and ``device'' lines must BOTH be defined !

# Teles S0/16.3
options "TEL_S0_16_3"
device  isic0 at isa? port 0xd80 net irq 10 flags 0x04 vector isicintr

# i4b passive cards D channel handling
# Q.921
pseudo-device   "i4bq921"
# Q.931
pseudo-device   "i4bq931"

# common passive and active layer 4
# layer 4
pseudo-device   "i4b"

# userland driver to do ISDN tracing (for passive cards oly)
pseudo-device   "i4btrc"        4
# userland driver to control the whole thing
pseudo-device   "i4bctl"
# userland driver for access to raw B channel
pseudo-device   "i4brbch"       4
# userland driver for telephony
pseudo-device   "i4btel"        2
# network driver for IP over raw HDLC ISDN
pseudo-device   "i4bipr"        4
# enable VJ header compression detection for ipr i/f
options         IPR_VJ
# network driver for sync PPP over ISDN
pseudo-device   "i4bisppp"      4
pseudo-device   sppp            4