Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 19:36:41 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hacked and don't know why

At 11:35 AM -0400 7/22/98, Drew Derbyshire wrote:
> I did not see the corruption problems reported with the other QPOP
> attack; as I noted before, the visitors to my system were surgical
> in their wanton destruction, I think they wanted me to know they
> could done worse but didn't.

For what it's worth, a long time ago we had a break-in problem,
not on FreeBSD, where all the binaries in /usr/bin (or some other
common directories) were replaced with a single executable, and
all programs seemed to still work fine.

That executable would see a few things about what privileges it
was running with before trying to do nasty things.  No matter
what, it would then run the *real* program, so the user always
got the results that they were expecting to see.  All the *real*
programs were buried in a non-obvious directory.  So, the nasty
program would find out what path it was started up as, and then
just add /var/.hidden/non-obviousplace on to the front of that
pathname.  So, the exact same executable could be used to replace
all executables in a given directory.

We unhooked the machine from the network, learned what we could
about what had happened, and reformatted & rebuilt all the
information on the hard drive...

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute