Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 1995 22:20:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX now available

> The linker set for protocol domains is, in fact, broken.  Try adding IPX.
actually I added a TFS specific protocol yesterday..
seemed to work ok..

> The linker set for file systems is also broken, mostly because the callback
> system in vfs_init.c is broken (inherited broken code from 4.4BSD-Lite).
>

> OK.  Start with the general.  What is a loadable kernel component?
>

> A loadable kernel component is code that when loaded sets itself up as
> if it had always been there, and if unloaded, removes itself as if it
> had never been there.
[..]

> Probe includes:
> a)	determination of IRQ(s) used by a single device instance before
> 	attach.
BSD4.3 did this on VME and DEC busses
It's harder when the system is already going and interrupts are in use..

> b)	determination of DRQ(s) used by a single device instance before
> 	attach.
this one gets really difficult.
> c)	determination of I/O address range(s) used by a single device
> 	instance before attach.
[.....]
ok, well it's all true..
and I'm slowely moving in that direction
but you see there's the JOB I keep having to do...

julian