Date:      Thu, 31 May 2012 10:32:36 +0000
From:      Holger Kipp <Holger.Kipp@alogis.com>
To:        Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

Hi,

Am 31.05.2012 um 12:24 schrieb "Lars Engels" <lars.engels@0x20.net>:

> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:06:55PM +0200, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
>>
>> On 5/30/12 8:20 PM, David Chisnall wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> This is off-topic, so please feel free to disregard it, but I'm sending=
 it to this list in the hope that it will reach a largish number of users.

>>> I am currently looking at updating some of our advocacy material (which=
 advertises exciting new features like SMP support), and before I do I'd li=
ke to get a better feel for why the rest of you are using FreeBSD.  If you =
had to list the three things you most like about FreeBSD, which would you p=
ick?  Are they the same as when you first started using it?

>>> David
>>

>> We're using FreeBSD here only for firewall boxes.
>>

>> Reasons for using FBSD for firewalls:
>> - CARP
>> - relayd
>> - PF
>> - pfsync
>>
>> Reasons I can't get management to use FBSD for regular servers (web,
>> haproxy, db...):
>> - "hard" to use
>> - update process is "hard", time-consuming and annoying (as opposed to
>> debian's for example)
>>
>> A regular debian update is 5 minutes + reboot
>> A regular FBSD update is about 1.5 hour + 3 reboots (after
>> installkernel, installworld, rebuild of ports)
>
> But how often do you need to update?

That reminds me - there is still a 2.2.8 system up and running that needs t=
o be replaced ;-)

For a server farm, one can use a central server who provides all packages t=
hat need to be upgraded, so it is usually only one system that needs a long=
er time. All others just mount the directories and install/upgrade using co=
mpiled world and /usr/ports/packages/All :-)

Nice and easy.

Best regards,
Holger

--
Holger Kipp
Diplom-Mathematiker

Tel. : +49 30 436 58 114
Fax. : +49 30 436 58 214
Mobil: +49 178 36 58 114
Email: holger.kipp@alogis.com

alogis AG
Alt-Moabit 90b
D-10559 Berlin

web : http://www.alogis.com

alogis AG
Sitz/Registergericht: Berlin/AG Charlottenburg, HRB 71484
Vorstand: Arne Friedrichs, Joern Samuelson
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Reinhard Mielke