Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 2003 22:52:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Old Way Was Better

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> You'll recruit more testers by making releases and you'll recruit even
> more by naming the releases well.  What "well" is is the problem,
> because name choices have other effects too.

If we want to use names to do the recruiting for us, perhaps we should
call it 5.1-ALMOST-AS-GOOD-AS-MICROSOFT-WITH-HI-DEF-MEDIA-PLAYER-AND-ANNA-
KOURNIKOVA-CLIPS.  That should get even more people to do testing.

And as far as long times between releases, so what?  Developers are
packing enough major shit into 5.X to tide FreeBSD over for 4 major
releases.  File system snapshots, ACLs, MAC, PAE, SMPng, that's a major
chunk of work.

I have said my bit.  I only intended to cast my vote and be heard.  I
didn't want to spend this much time on the issue.

Check out openafs.org for AFS info.  The people who are working on FreeBSD
are working on -current.  openafs will build and run on FreeBSD as a
client by my own experience, and as a server by reports I have read.  It
was wonky though.  It would hang the system if you tried to kill it.  This
is what lead me to try out 5.1 in the first place.

Later,
Jason C. Wells