Date:      Sat, 08 Sep 2001 19:42:52 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Multiple vendor 'Taylor UUCP' problems.

In message <5.1.0.14.0.20010908222654.060f1ea8@192.168.0.12>, Mike
Tancsa write
s:
> At 06:16 AM 9/9/2001 +0400, Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
>
> > > I think it's finally time to make UUCP into a port: I'll work on that
> > > later tonight.
> >
> >Maybe. It is rarely enough used nowdays to deserve that.
>

> For mail delivery to non permanently connected sites, its a damn site
> better than ETRN or pop3.  That being said, we have no more than 10
> customers using it still....

How about the following solution?  Install the UUCP binaries without
the setuid bit set and ship a script that would enable UUCP (turn on
setuid/setgid bits) for sites that need it.  Of course the script would
print an appropriate warning that enabling UUCP could lead to
compromise.

Could not a UUCP based mail delivery system run in a jailed environment?

How about fetchmail?

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC