Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 13:55:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I got 2940UW timeout problem also ... help please ...

> On Thu, 21 May 1998, Roger P. Johnson wrote:
>
> >      OK. I have searched the archives, etc. and still need help on what
> > appears to be an age old problem with these 2940UW's.
>
> With an age old solution ...
>

> >      I cannot install FreeBSD 2.2.6 or 2.2.2 onto this configuration:
> >         DEC Celebris 590
> >         16 MB RAM
> >         2940UW BIOS ver. 1.32
> >         Seagate ST34572W 4550MB Barracuda (Ultra Wide; 68 pin)
> >         Panasonic SCSI-2 CD-ROM.

> Well, your problem reeks of termination problems so please double- and
> triple-check that the drive is set termination ON and to get termination
> power from the SCSI bus, but NOT supply it.  Also check your cable length
> and quality.  If you have a plastic blob at the end of your cable, CUT IT
> OFF.  Mine says `Amphenol' and has a couple of terminating ICs in it.

      I had tried that also. No go.

> >      After FreeBSD boots up from the floppy, I finish the visual
> > configuration and the 2940UW is reconized, and I have to wait for the
> > SCSI devices to settle.  Then big long pause while it times out on all
> > along the chain. If you leave it long enough you get the installation
> > menu, and then she reboots and does it all over again.
>
> Also try running a verify against the drive and verifying that the
> termination is set to LOW OFF/HIGH ON in SCSISelect. (Mine is actually LOW
> ON/HIGH ON and it works okay.)

      I had tried that too. No go.

      Here is what another person had mailed me about his experience using the
2940UW and FreeBSD:

!! At the time I was using an Acer AP53-R3 (HX) Mainboard. As it turned out
!! although I was quite reluctant to do so, I borrowed another mainboard
!! (Asus) and poof. It booted without problem. It was quite distirbing as
!! Linux (Slackware and RedHat) both responded okay, Windows 98 responded
!! okay but FreeBSD crashed....

      In diagram terms, here is what I have:

        ____________________________
       |                            |
       |    Adaptec 2940UW          |  <-- Adapter is set to its default settings EXCEPT
       |                            |      for SCSI ID #0, which has negotiate WIDE to NO,and
       |   Narrow          Wide     |      enable WIDE for SCSI ID #1
       |  50 Pin          68 Pin    |
       |  ___________     _______   |
       |_|XXXXXXXXXXX|___|XXXXXXX|__|
          |         |     |     |
          |         |     |     |
          |         |     |     |      <-- These cables came with the Adaptec 2940UW Kit,
          |         |     |     |          so I assume Adaptec has good quality cables with
          |_________|     |     |          their stuff.
         [unused plug]    |     |
          |---------|     |     |
          |         |     |____ |
          |         |    [unused ]
          |         |     |-----|
          |         |     |     |
          |         |     |     |
          |         |     |     |
          XXXXXXXXXXX  XXXXXXXXXXXX
          XXXXXXXXXXX  XXXXXXXXXXXX
          XXXXXXXXXXX  XXXXXXXXXXXX
          XX Hard XXX  XXX Hard XXX
          XX Drive XX  XXX Drive XX
          XXXXXXXXXXX  XXXXXXXXXXXX
          XXXXXXXXXXX  XXXXXXXXXXXX
          XXXXXXXXXXX  XXXXXXXXXXXX

          SCSI ID 0     SCSI ID 1
           ST31055N 1GB    ST34572W 4 GB Barracuda

       Jumper Settings:

       TP is               TP is
         Power from Drive    Power from Drive
       TE is ENABLED       TE is ENABLED

        ^

        This drive has
 FreeBSD 2.2.2 already
installed on it via a
2940AU card. It does boot
via a 2940AU card. Thus it
should boot here with the
2940UW. I get the boot prompt,
then it hangs after waiting
for SCSI devices to settle.

          I have:
           Tried setting the LOW/HIGH manually. No go.
           Set the TE to Power from the SCSI bus. No go.
           Leave the setting to Automatic. No go.
           Only the narrow drive on the card. No go.
           Only the wide drive on the card. No go.

I conclude, particularly after the response from the one user, that
there is something wrong with the FreeBSD 2940UW driver with _some_
mother boards. Which, unfortunately, I see to always have.

   Any pointers, ref's?
     Roger