Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2000 17:56:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        land@dnepr.net (Andrey Lakhno)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recent ports on 2.2.8-R

As I recall, Andrey Lakhno wrote:
>   What i need to do to install programs from ports collection on my
>   FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE box ?
>
>   Ports collection are fresh. Just cvsupped.
>   Is there any caveats ?

I've got a couple of 2.2.8-STABLE systems.

You can have some problems.  The port collection isn't tagged to any
particular release.  Each port is expected to check what release it
is building under if it cares.  This is not always done, and the
ports maintainers no longer try to build a port on a 2.x system so
they won't discover those ports that get it wrong.

Further, you'll need to get the proper Makefiles, as they've added a
few more flags that some ports set and the 2.2.x Makefiles don't
test.

However, a surprising number of the ports =will= build.  Those that
do not, you can unpack the distfile into /usr/local/src and try to
build it yourself.  You'll essentially be reproducing the effort of
the person who did the port to a later version.  Again, depending on
the attention to detail spent by the person who created the software
you're trying to build, this sometimes goes just fine.  Packages
that use "configure" usually fare better.

Finally, you could CVSup "ports-all" with a date that matches the
release of 2.2.8.  In other words, not the current tree, but as it
existed then.  You'll need "tag=."  and "date=1998.12.31.00.00.00" (or
something close to that) in your cvsupfile.  That will get you a set of
ports that will almost certainly build.  But you'll miss newly added
ports and bug fixes.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net