Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2012 21:01:52 +0400
From:      "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
To:        paul+usenet@w6yx.stanford.edu
Cc:        "G. Paul Ziemba" <pz-freebsd-emulation@ziemba.us>, hselasky@freebsd.org, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I prevent host usb wifi driver from attaching?

--------------enig723535F8E96578B49E852817

On 26.12.2012 01:22, G. Paul Ziemba wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE (host) and VirtualBox 4.2.0.
>=20
> I have followed the steps in http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox
> to make USB devices available to VirtualBox guests, and that works
> (e.g., a Win2K guest can use a USB scanner I have attached to the
> host's USB interface).
>=20
> I'm planning another guest running FreeBSD (probably 9.X) and I'd
> like to have a USB wifi dongle (probably a run(4) device) that is
> visible to the guest as a network interface, but that is not visible
> to the host.
>=20
> I think this can be accomplished by preventing the run(4) driver on the=

> host from seizing the usb device, and then configuring VirtualBox to
> let that USB device be visible to the guest.
>=20
> I think I can prevent the host's usb driver from loading by
> editing (or overriding?) the matching entry in /etc/devd/usb.conf
> which would prevent the run(4) module from loading, but that's
> kind of a big hammer.
>=20
> Has anyone else solved a similar problem? Is there a finer-grained appr=
oach?=20

+freebsd-usb@, +hselasky@

Hi,

I also find it uncomfortable. In general, automatic kldload of needed
kernel module when new device plugged in is useful feature for desktop.
But it will be more useful if we could disable it without hacking
configs in the /etc/devd/ every time when we updating the system.

--=20
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov