Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:17:04 -0800
From:      "Bart (The Good Guy) Trzynadlowski" <trzy@powernet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD installation problem, step-by-step walkthrough of problem included!

Hello,
	I've been having trouble installing FreeBSD primarily with the
bootmanager. Here is a walkthrough of a typical (futile) installation
attempt I usually go through. If anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful.
My system is a Pentium 180MHz, 80mb RAM, primary master = 1.6gb hdd, pri.
slave = Sony ATAPI CDROM, secondary master: 4.0gb Western Digital Caviar
hdd, Sec. slave = none. I have a SupraExpress 288i PnP modem and a Hercules
Stingray 128/3D w/ 6mb RAM. here is the walkthrough of my latest
installation attempt, I want FBSD on my second drive which is to be split
between Win95 FAT16 and FBSD...

- Booted KERN.FLP
- Inserted MFSROOT.FLP when prompted
- Went into full-screen kernel configuration mode
- Noticed that drivers sio2 and sio3 were inactive so I activated them
- Saved changes and it found sio2 but sio3 wasnt found, no biggie
- Entered /stand/sysinstall Main Menu
- Chose NOVICE
- Asks me to reserve a FreeBSD slice. Hard drive choices: wd0 or wd2
- I check wd2, that's where I want FreeBSD
- Notice this: 0-62 = unused; 63-4120703 = FAT; 4120704 = unused
- I highlight last one and I hit "C" to create. It places some value in
front of me which equalled the size of the slice so I hit enter and choose
to make it a FreeBSD slice, type 165.
- FLag set = C
- I press Q to continue
- Window pops up saying: "Install boot manager for drive wd2?"
- I choose "None" because wd2 isn't my booting drive
- Screen pops up asking what disk I should make this operation on. I choose
WD2. It told me earlier that when I get to FDISK again I should just hit Q
- In FDISK I hit Q
- A window pops up saying: "Install boot manager for drive wd2?" again
- I say "None" again
- I choose WD0 to perform the operation and WD2 is already checked
- In FDISK I choose "Q"
- Now a window says: Install boot manager for drive wd0?"
- This is my booting drive so I choose (*) BootMgr
- Asks me to select the drive to perform the operation on, I choose WD0
- Does NOT take me to FDISK but instead takes me to the FreeBSD Disk Label
Editor... under WD0!!!
- I quit the installation and restart

Thanks in advance,

Bart Trzynadlowski