Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 15:55:46 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Rick Gray <rickg@nwpros.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hackers

>I believe I know what my FTP problem is. After I rebooted I noticed several
>people FTPing into the system, none who are customers. Looking at the
>home/FTP/pub files shows nothing but when I did a ls -a it showed a hidden
>file: ../ ../stevan. This is the file the hackers are retrieving. I can't
>even delete the file or change the access. I must warn everyone of this. The
>users use the email name of mozilla@ for the majority.

   You should be able to do a:

rm -rf ".*stevan*"

...but you may wish to cd to it first to see what's in it. cd ".*stevan*"
should similarly work.

>So somehow when these guys come into my system, it screws up FTP. I disabled
>FTP in inetd until I find a solution to this problem. I was told that
>FreeBSD was very secure but now someone has found a loophole somewhere, I guess.

   You probably need to better control the upload permissions.

>So everyone do a ps ax and check to see if anyone is FTPed into your system
>as mozilla. Those are the majority of hackers I saw...I guess they all use
>the same name. One last thing..they were not FTPing directly to me. They

   "mozilla" is the standard anonymous password that Netscape uses. It's not
at all unusual.

-DG

David Greenman