Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 17:48:54 +0530
From:      A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lowend support!

Hi Amancio and FreeBSDers,

Something which was posted to this list caused me to sit up.

amancio> The point that it must run  on minimal hardware is debatable at
amancio> this time tnks to Win95 8) Many are upgrading the systems with
amancio> enough resources to run a multitasking operating system.

Well folks, I can think of one place where the rush to upgrade hardware to
run Win95 will /not/ be pronounced and that is here in India.  I am sure
there will be many places in the world which will share this reluctance.

There are oodles of [34]86's here running on 4/8/16 MB (E)IDE
configurations; cost is a major consideration and anything that will allow
people to get their work done without forking out Rs by the shovelful
would be greatly appreciated.

As I see it, a window of opportunity is opening up: Microsoft is pushing
Win95/NT and users are being forced to upgrade their PC software and hardware
if they wish to run Micro$oft products.  Now since a lot of work can still
be done on existing hardware, an OS which allows the power to be extracted
fully would be useful.

I was hoping that FreeBSD would fit the bill nicely: it is reliable, fast,
and the people behind it are the kind who take pride in their work.
I do hope that FreeBSD will continue to work well on low-end configurations.

What work remains to be done?  I note that we don't support EIDE disks
for example.   In what way can we folks here help?

Koshy

--
<koshy@india.hp.com> 		My Personal Opinions Only.