Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 12:42:40 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Mike Alich <hostmaster@cctinc.net>
Cc:        nate@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: jdk-1.1.8

> I downloaded this port and when I run either make or make install it
> says the port is already installed and I could either uninstall and
> reinstall the ports or use the FORCE_PACKAGE_REGISTER.
>
> Well knowing the port was not installed and the only way I could get the
> package installed was to use the FORCE option, I did.

Somehow, the port was installed, or at least the files in /var/db/pkg
were installed.  This happened on a co-worker's machine when they
installed a package that accidentally contained files in /var/db/pkg.

> Turns out the
> install I think went in but erased my entire /var/db/pkg directory and
> put some install info from the port in there.

I certainly shouldn't have erased anything in /var/db/pkg.  In any case,
it sounds like something other than the port is wrong with your system.

Nate