Date:      Thu, 02 Feb 1995 17:41:30 EST
From:      Kaleb Keithley <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   I'm having a very perplexing problem

In the process of juggling some memory between systems I managed to
kill the motherboard in my FreeBSD (1.1.5.1) system. After replacing
the motherboard began to get some programs, that never had a problem
before, now segv apparently at random, e.g. /bin/sh, /sbin/fsck,
and gcc's cc1.

What's strange is that fsck would check /dev/rswd0a fine, but segv
on /dev/rswd0e (my /usr partition). More recently I went to rebuild
my kernel, and gcc runs fine, but cc1 segvs repeatedly when it tries
to compile rtsock.c.

I was able to boot single user, remount my root partition, and replace
/bin/sh and /sbin/fsck with the versions from the kernel or cpio
install diskette. The replacements don't dump core. (And I know that
they're not the same as the "real" /bin/sh and /sbin/fsck.) Replacing
gcc's cc1 is more problematic only because I had installed 2.6.3 at one
point. I can of course revert to the 2.5.8 files that were originally
installed.

One thought I had was that I had 70ns RAM in one bank and 100ns RAM
in the second bank. (I used to have 16 meg, but this new board only has
room for 8 SIMMs. :-() Thinking that this might somehow be the cause,
I put 100ns RAM in all the slots. This was after discovering /bin/sh
and /sbin/fsck were "bad" but before discovering the problem with cc1,
so I'm inclined to believe that it's not the memory speed difference
that is what's causing the problem.

Both boards are apparently from the same Taiwan motherboard company; same
logo on the boxes anyway. The old board was a five year old ISA with an
OPTI chipset and AMI BIOS. The new board is an ISA-VLB with a chipset I
don't remember and Award BIOS. The old board had the ability to set memory
wait states in the CMOS setup -- the new board does not.

This "feels" like a memory problem, but I don't know why, for instance,
one version of fsck would successfully fsck rwd0a but dump core on rwd0e,
when it had worked fine before changing the motherboard; while another
version of fsck on the new motherboard works fine on both partitions.

Here's how my disk is partitioned:

6 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  a:    30240   164304    4.2BSD      512  4096    16   # (Cyl.  163 - 192)
  b:    68544   194544      swap                        # (Cyl.  193 - 260)
  c:   506016   164304    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.  163 - 664)
  d:   671328        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 665)
  e:   387072   263088    4.2BSD      512  4096    16   # (Cyl.  261 - 644)
  f:    20160   650160    4.2BSD      512  4096    16   # (Cyl.  645 - 664)

Any ideas?

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY