Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 09:49:53 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        BSD Bob <bsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of FBSD sparc porting?

> on that?), 2) the OpenBSD 1.0 port, 3) the OpenBSD 2.5 port, the NetBSD
                            ^^^
There is no OpenBSD 1.0.  OpenBSD started their versioning at 2.0 (I
guess Theo considered NetBSD 1.0 to be the 1.0 version for OpenBSD).

> cannonical historical source (4.4BSD) vs Lite vs say 2.2.8-current and

IMHpersonalO, FreeBSD 2.2.8 is so old, that doing anything with that
version may be a fun project, but the end result would not be foldable
back into the offical FreeBSD source code, and thus the work would
stagnate and never go anywhere.

> see if we can work up a working kernel that could overlay a SunOS system,

Since most don't have SunOS source, why overlay SunOS rather than NetBSD
(or OpenBSD)?  That is how FreeBSD/Alpha came about.  IIRC, first
NetBSD's userland was replaced with FreeBSD's (with teaks in libc for the
syscall differences).  Then the NetBSD kernel grew into the FreeBSD
kernel.

> The OBSD 1.0 was built from sources on a running SunOS system,

Can you please document this?  I've never heard of this before.
(that and when/how there was a 1.0 version of OpenBSD).