Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:55:50 -0400
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stale modules (Re: panic in the morning)

Stijn Hoop wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 06:15:55PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > make world doesn't build a kernel. Making a kernel doesn't build
> > modules. This bit me again the other day when updating, as well - panic at
> > boot when loading a stale linux.ko.
>
> \begin{newbie question}
> So why aren't the modules built with the kernel instead of with the world?
> \end{newbie question}

Good question.  With Linux, you have the option of building the
modules when you compile the kernel by doing a "make modules".  I
think maybe we could use a similar approach.  For example, I think we
should put an option into config(8) where we can choose the modules we
want to build.  Like, we add the keyword "module" somewhere to the
driver we want to add as a modules.  Then, we could add an option
"make modules" and "make install_modules" so that they could be
built/installed with the kernel.

After all, modules ARE a part of the kernel...

- Donn