Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 1995 12:01:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Batch Telnet (Re: diskless and 3Com 509)

> The criticism you are leveling is one of whether the telnetd waits
> for its output queue to flush before exiting when the pty master
> it is talking to has the last close on the pty slave take place.

Slow down. Words of one syllable, please... I suspect you're talking
about a more complex situation than I'm addressing, and you're going
way over my head.

The behaviour I'm talking about is:

	telnet localhost nntp << EOF
	LIST
	QUIT
	EOF
	Trying 127.0.0.1...
	Connected to localhost.
	Escape character is '^]'.
	200 bonkers.taronga.com NNTP[auth] server version 1.5.11 (10 February 1991) ready at Thu Mar 16 11:54:50 1995 (posting ok).
	Connection closed by foreign host.

On the System V based telnets I've used this waits for the remote side to
exit, so you get a list of groups on standard output.

I don't see how changing the output queue flush behaviour could change this,
because there could potentially be a significant delay between the time the
remote NNTP server receives the LIST command and the time it starts sending
the list of groups.

The downside is, if the remote server is waiting for EOF rather than any
explicit command, you lose bigtime. So it's easily arguable that the System
V behaviour is broken, and that you shouldn't use telnet as a batch NNTP
client, which is why I wanted to get some feedback before I dove in and
broke^H^H^H^H^Hchanged things.