Date:      Sat, 24 Sep 2016 14:24:07 +0930
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>, Freebsd Questions <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to find port name to use with the pkg install command

On 23/09/2016 21:34, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am having trouble finding the port name to use with the "pkg install"
> command. I used to use the ports web site
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi
>
> It used to show the svn port names and now it shows the port version
> names.  How is a person to find the svn port name?

pkg install accepts pkg-origin, pkg-name or pkg-name-version
There is also a -x option to treat the pkg-name as regex

So if you wanted to install firefox you could use

pkg install www/firefox
pkg install firefox-47.0.1_2,1
pkg install firefox

To search for ports you can try http://www.freshports.org
The category and portname can be seen in lists and the pkg origin can
be seen in the url of port details page which shows the commands to
build or pkg install the port.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler