Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 2002 23:06:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Ryan K. Losh" <rklosh@rkl.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for testers of new ATA driver patches

> I'm not sure if I did something wrong with upgrading, but the ata device did
> not make into my /dev/MAKEDEV file.  It is in my /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV file,
> but not in the /dev/MAKEDEV file.  I did the usual make buldworld / make
> kernel / reboot / make installworld sequence.  Mergemaster found nothing to
> merge, which is unsurprising since I didn't upgrade, I just integrated your
> patchfile (which patched my source tree without error so I figured that was
> ok).

I had this problem, too.

> But once I created the device (I actually read the patchfile to figure out
> where it was and just issued the proper "mknod" by hand), it works great!
>
> My hot-swappable secondary hard drive is now hot-swappable under FreeBSD!

Mine doesn't seem to be.  I've got a HP Pavilion ZU-1175 laptop that
physically is two separate parts: a docking station with a dual
channel (ata2 and ata3) PCI IDE controller and 2 IDE drives (separate
DVD and CDRW drives).  The only time FreeBSD recognizes these drives
is when I boot the computer ON THE DOCKING STATION.  It looks like the
IDE controller is a separate PCI device which is "hot-plugged"
whenever docking/undocking the laptop.  Any idea if hot-plug PCI
devices are supported in FreeBSD?

> I've only been using it for oh . . . ten minutes now so system stablity
> hasn't really been tested all that thorougly, but I was able to boot with it
> out and then insert, reinit the channel, and properly mount it.

The patch was stable enough to survive deleting my src tree, untar the
backup I saved, and make buildworld buildkernel installkernel/reboot
to restore my old config...

Ryan