Date:      25 Dec 1995 22:47:44 -0700
From:      "Owen Newnan" <onewnan@denitqm.ecte.uswc.uswest.com>
To:        "questions about FreeBSD" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   reading HTML and ATAPI

                       Subject:                               Time:9:52 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          reading HTML and ATAPI                 Date:12/25/95

I installed 2.1, retrofitting local mods and rebuilding the kernel.  I made
the error of not selecting the HTML option when I first installed.  The
installation menu doesn't seem to offer me the HTML option except at initial
install (I did try the reinstall option).  Worse, I  discover all my FAQs have
turned into HTML and I don't know how to read them.  So I may have missed some
obvious documentation posing these questions.  Is there an HTML reader that
ships with the base installation so I can check out the FAQs etc?

The reason I was looking for FAQs is that ATAPI isn't working yet.  I first
tried view, which took a core dump, then the ATAPI floppy and CDROM by way of
DOS.  The floppy took ten seconds or so to probe wdc1, irq 15, where I have my
CD.  It appeared to probe successfully.  But the menu did not recognize CDROM
as an installation medium.

When I later remade the kernel I included ATAPI.  That appears to probe wdc1
successfully in a few seconds.  Note, dmesg makes no mention of wcd0, which is
also in the kernel.  Furthermore, I do not see any wcd entry in /dev.  What
next steps shall I take to make the device, mount it or appropriately edit
fstab, or otherwise determine if there is hope for my CD drive under FreeBSD?

BTW, kudos to all on the FreeBSD team, epecially the documentation team,
who've made great strides.