Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2011 01:04:04 -0800
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: v4l + webcamd + Logitech C210 + Skype (FreeBSD 8-stable)

On 01/23/2011 12:40, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get Skype working with video support on my
> 8-stable machine at home.  I've got a shiny new Logitech
> C210 webcam.  This webcam works perfectly fine on my wife's
> Windows machine, FWIW.
>
> On my FreeBSD box I've installed webcamd and all of its
> dependencies, as per HPS' documentation.  Basically the
> webcam seems to work:  I get a clear picture in pwcview(1).
> However, Skype doesn't seem to recognize the video device
> (I have installed skype-2.0.0.72,1 from ports).

Webcamd doesn't work with skype. I tried 4 different cameras with the
same outcome as yours.

Webcamd only supports V4L1 and skype normally uses V4L2 first and then
falls back to V4L1. I did some debugging, either V4L1 support is broken
in skype since in linux most everyone uses V4L2 now, or there is some
other reason. But there is no easy and obvious fix to this problem.

Yuri