Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 19:13:37 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@picus.com>
To:        <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Gimme FreeBSD anyday!

Today, I had my first experience with Solaris.  Had to install and
configure it.

This is like asking a rank-amature mac user to install and configure
Windows NT 3.51.  Solaris is a joke!

The installation process asked for some networking stuff, but never
bothered to ask for a default route.  Had to put this in manually at
first, but later found out that you had to create /etc/defaultrouter (or
some such crap).  What a configuration scheme... one directive per file.
OUCH!

Then, I went to add a user.  This went ok, but when I went to use chpass
to edit the user information, I see that it's not in root's default path
(still haven't figured out where they have it).  Had to use vipw, which
pulled up some lame-ass GUI editor by default.  Talk about nasty.  I'd
rather use ee.

Can anyone tell me just how the hell Sun manages to sell this crap?  Or
are people addicted to the hardware, and suffer the OS for that reason?

*sigh*

I'd just as soon trade this thing in for a beefy FreeBSD box (or even
NT!), but the software we gotta run is only for Solaris.

-Troy