Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 1996 08:37:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Shady <rls@server.id.net>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Woah! cdrom.com!

>>>In any case, it actually *IS* at 100Mbits now.  CRL evidently
>>>purchased another type of 100Mbit card for their Cisco and now we're
>>>frequently peaking over 10Mbits, albeit rarely.
>>
>>>It seems that 600 users eat up around 10Mbits and not much more, so
>>>it's more a matter of "however fast you can go, we can go" now.. :-)
>>
>>There has to be a bottle neck somewhere.  I have a T3 that is peaking out at
>>8MBit/sec, and I have a full ethernet to that T3.
>>
>>And my retrieval performance is *dismal*
>>
>>Retrieving boot.flp from cdrom.com is ETA at 45 MINUTES!
>>
>>Here is a traceroute back to cdrom.com.

>>Waitaminute, is that an ethernet I see between MCI and CRL?
>
>    This is the second report we've gotten about this, and the last one had a
> nearly identical traceroute - MCI through mae-east. The last one I analyzed
> showed that the problem was the MCI -> MAE-east hop, not the MAE-east -> CRL
> hop. I don't know what to say about this other than it appears to me to be an
> MCI problem. CRL has future plans to upgrade their connection to MAE-east to
> DS3 (it is currently 10Mbits), but in this case it appears that it's not going
> to matter. :-(
>    CRL peers with MCI at the Pacbell NAP (DS3), too, and in fact that is
> how the traffic gets back to you:
>    It seems pretty clear to me by the above that the problem is with MCI,
> starting with the Sacremento->WillowSprings hop.

We've already contacted MCI about this several times, the problem actually
started about 8 months ago at MCI's Chicago NAP.  MCI says they are aware
of the problem, and they "have ordered another DS3 for that location".  Of
course, this was the answer they gave 8 months ago as well...  It has gotten
significantly worse in the recent weeks..

	-- Rob
===

                             Innovative Data Services
                          Serving South-Eastern Michigan
        Internet Service Provider / Hardware Sales / Consulting Services
       Voice: (810)855-0404 / Fax: (810)855-3268 / Web: http://www.id.net