Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:16:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: sawfish saws through metacity

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q8

[Isn't top-posting contrary to some RFC or something?]

> as it says on that page: killall sawfish && sleep 5 && metacity&

*lonnnnng slowwwww nod*  Ah ha, no wonder when I just did `ps auxww | grep
-i meta` it returned just the command itself.  The very odd thing then is
when I go to the screen in Gnome 2 that shows "Metacity (Current)," I
wonder why it doesn't say "Sawfish (Current)."

> and as for the dashes disappearing, it's actually the other way around.
> they started out WITHOUT dashes, but the GNU argument convention
> dictated their insertion. -Adam

Interesting.  I would think that for all binary commands that cannot or do
not accept a filename on the command line, that undashed flags would be
acceptable.

> > Hi List how is everyone?  When I am in Gnome 2 and go to my MainMenu
> > button, then Applications > DesktopPreference > Advanced > WindowManager it
> > says "Metacity (Current)."  But when I run...
> > # ps auxww | grep sawfish | grep X11
> > root  2207  0.0  1.0  8028 4984  ??  Ss    8:13PM   0:01.27 /usr/X11R6/bin/sawfish --sm-client-id 106ea433a2000103250212600000033730002 --sm-prefix a62se3o4ox
> > ...it looks as though sawfish squeaked in there somehow!  Anyone any ideas?
> > My second question is simple and silly.  Why do some commands such as tar
> > and ps not require the dash as in `ps auxww` and `tar zxvf file.tgz`?

> Adam Weinberger
> adam@vectors.cx
> http://vectors.cx

That's all from me.