Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 13:30:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/22704: cyrus and cyrus-sasl both install pwcheck startup scripts, only cyrus-sasl installs pwcheck

The following reply was made to PR ports/22704; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To: "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
Cc: stb@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:26:42 -0600

 On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 02:56:44PM -0600, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:
 > What local changes do you need to make to pwcheck.sh?

 I don't use pwcheck.sh, but something I often do with such scripts is
 add a `restart' option.

 > > That's backwards.  We ought to have a guideline in the Porter's handbook
 > > about this.  Actually, I believe that section 15.18 applies here.
 > >
 > No, it doesn't apply as pwcheck.sh is not a configuration file.

 The philosophy is the same as for configuration files.  Thus my
 suggestion that we need to add something to the Porter's handbook.   I
 don't think that installing a port should automatically start some
 service on my machine, even if that means next reboot.

 > No this is not backwards. Other software require the pwcheck daemon to be
 > running, so that they can use the SASL library for authentication (sendmail,
 > and postfix for AUTH support in these mail servers).

 pwcheck is only useful for the PLAIN mechanism.  sendmail, imap,
 openldap, et cetera can use the SASL library just fine without pwcheck,
 e.g. using GSSAPI.

 You are the maintainer, you do what you want.  My main objection is to
 installing a script that starts a service [1].  Just please install that
 script as pwcheck.sh.sample.  I don't even much care which port installs
 it.

 Cheers,
 --
 Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org

 [1] Happily, the ports system now at least warns when a port does this.
 However, this warning is quite likely to get missed when a port is
 installed as a dependency for something (as is the case with, say,
 openldap2).