Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 19:50:25 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AXPpci33 <-> Sparc sun4c  serial cable

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 10:33:41PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > ** What software should I use on the Alpha box ? I know there exists
> > some program called "minicom", which has a FreeBSD port, that might
> > be adequate. But is this the standard solution ?
>
> Minicom is pretty silly because it combines terminal emulation and
> communication functions in the style of corresponding PC programs.
> (It's roughly a clone of Telix for MS-DOS.)  On a Unix box you
> already have a terminal, no need to insert an emulation layer.  A
> simple communication program such as cu(1) or tip(1), or kermit(1)
> from the ports, will do.

Surprised no one mentioned conserver -- it is great in that you can can
have one person using it, and multiple people watching what is going on.
It is nice to be on the console at home, and when I go to work temperary
"bump" the home process.  But when I return home, I still have the full
console output.  One can do this with screen(1), but it takes planning
that using conserver does not.

ALSO conserver logs all console output to a file.  So if you wondered
what was printed out then the box paniced -- you know.