Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 11:29:16 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        MCI Worldcom <David.Nobles@wcom.com>
Cc:        questions FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: UNIX Security Issue - URGENT

In the last episode (Dec 22), MCI Worldcom said:
> This is being disseminated to all the developers at our office.  I've
> removed any names but the gist of the issues and 'security problems'
> are still there.  Anyone on the list heard about anything like this?

Search and replace "Linux" with "Windows NT" and see how much of a
scare you can drum up.  Linux has full source available and if there
was some time bomb embedded in it, someone would have seen it.  With
Windows, who knows?  Can't see the code.  Why not just walk into a
theater and shout "FIRE!" ?

> Gents, Further to my e-mail yesterday about Linux, which we are all
> agreed on, xxx have today received a warning advisory originated by
> the FBI which they have stated "causes significant concern".

URL?

> In short, the advisory warns of a dormant rogue program embedded in
> Linux (and some mainstream UNIX languages) that once activated begins
> a strong

"mainstream UNIX languages?"

> I support your position, there isn't any good business reason for us
> to be running a shareware operating system within our environment.

Not shareware.  Red Hat, for example, is fully commercially-supported.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com