Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 13:54:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: please tell me I'm wrong

> I've been looking at why I can't unmount a filesystem on a device under devfs
> seems that the superblock is stored under the mount point.
> it is saved using the sync function of the filesystem that held the device..
> so if the filesystem that held the device,
> is devfs, it's asked to save the other filesystem private info (superblock)
> but it wouldn't know a superblock if one came up and kicked it
> in the shins!
>
> I hope I'm reading this wrong, because that would indicate that
> you can only mount a ffs filesystem from a device on a ffs filesystem..
> (and expect it to work)

I think you are missing the "struct fileops" reference, which is different
for devices than it is for non-devices.

I believe the vnode that gets synced on is the vnode of the FS doing
the mounting, not the underlying FS.

You should look in vfs_vnops.c...

Getting rid of the struct fileops nonsense was one of my goals at one
time.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---