Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 16:08:59 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Lewis <m1ewis@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem/PPP config problem

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 07:34:35AM -0800, Michael Lewis wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to FreeBSD & Unix:
>
> I've just installed v3.4 on a Cyrix P166 with 96MB RAM and two dedicated
> hard drives.  I'm trying  to connect to my ISP via an internal 33.6 ISA
> modem.  I had a PCI Winmodem, but I've junked that and a friend gave me this
> ISA card to try.
>
> As you can see from the ppp.log below, I can't complete a connection.  I've
> used the ppp.conf from Lehey (3rd ed, p. 448) as a template.  I downloaded
> /handbook/ppp-and-slip.html and think I've followed the directions for
> configuring user PPP.  I've looked at the FAQs but can't find anything that
> jumps out at me.  I've printed the 50 pages of ppp man but they're pretty
> daunting at first glance and I haven't gotten into them.
>
> My modem is on /dev/cuaa1 and I've jumpered the board to use int3 and
> (hopefully) COM2.
>
> I think I'm using PPP v2.2.7 (that's what the FreeBSD 3.4 CD package file
> seems to say).  I don't know if I have an incorrect chat string or if the
> string's ok but something else is wrong.  At least I wish I knew some way to
> test that FreeBSD's getting through to the modem
>
> Any advice appreciated.

Looking at your ppp.log it appears that you modem is not responding
to the ``AT'' command.

At the ``ppp on xxxxx>'' prompt try typing ``term'' and if you get
a prompt try entering ``AT <RETURN>'' and you should get ``OK''
back.

Also, is your modem found at boot-time? what does the output from
dmesg(8) show?

> thanks, Mike Lewis
>

> 1. From my ppp.conf
>
> default:
> 	set device /dev/cuaa1
> 	set speed 115200
> set log phase chat connect lcp ipcp ccp command
> 	set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO//sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT \
> 											OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 C0NNECT"
>
> ISP:
> 	set phone 2081234
> set login "TIMEOUT 5 login:-\\r-login: mlewis1 word: xxxxxxxx"
> set timeout 300
> set ifaddr 0 0
> add default HISADDR
> enable dns
>

> 2. From ppp.log
>
> Phase: Using interface: tun0
> Phase: deflink: Created in closed state
> Command: default: set dial ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\scarrier timeout 5 "" AT
> OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK
> 	\dATDT\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT
> Phase: PPP started (interactive mode).
> Phase: PPP terminated (normal)
> Command: /dev/tty: dial ISP
> Command: ISP: set phone 2081234
> Command: ISP: set login TIMEOUT 5 login:\r-login: mlewis1 word: xxxxxxxx
> Command: ISP: set timeout 300
> Command: ISP: set ifaddr 0 0
> Command: ISP: add default HISADDR
> Command: ISP: enable dns
> Phase: bundle: Establish
> Phase: deflink: closed -> opening
> Phase: deflink: Connected!
> Phase: deflink: opening -> dial
> Phase: Phone: 2081234
> Chat: deflink: Dial attempt 1 of 1
> Chat: Send: AT^M
> Chat: Expect(5): OK
> Chat: Expect timeout
> Chat: Send: AT^M
> Chat: Expect(5): OK
> Chat: Expect timeout
> Warning: Chat script failed

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000