Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:36:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tim Clewlow <tim1timau@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Something is really not right with azureus 2.5 / diablo-jdk 1.5

--- Robert Noland <rnoland@2hip.net> wrote:

> From: Robert Noland <rnoland@2hip.net>
> To: freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
> Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:06:40 -0500
> Subject: Something is really not right with azureus 2.5 / diablo-jdk 1.5
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > I have azureus-2.5.0.0 which requires diablo-jdk-1.5.0.07.01_1 to build
> (among
> > other things). It builds and runs fine, however, azureus limps along for
> about
> > 10 minutes with very low download and upload speeds, then it seems to grind
> > a halt, the d/l and u/l basically stop. There are no errors to report
> because
> > the application keeps going, but the problem is it stops actually d/l or
> u/l
> > anything (sometimes you might get short bursts of extremely slow speeds,
> but it
> > is mostly 0 B/s).
> >
> > I suspect that diablo-jdk that is at fault, but in truth this is just a
> hunch.
>
> This is a problem with azureus, not the jdk.  The same issue exists with
> sun jdk15.  I am attempting to look at the code, but someone with more
> java foo than I would probably be much more productive.  It appears to
> be an issue with socket handling...
>
> robert.

FYI - I discovered the internet connection was constantly at 100% u/l due to a
number of people on the LAN doing p2p, so I shaped the external link to only
allow 80% of the real uplink capacity (which creates a 20% buffer to attempt to
mininize collisions on the uplink) and azureus suddenly came back to life. Note
that azureus on the windows box was happy before I shaped the link, but the BSD
version was not. This makes me think the BSD version of azureus gets into
trouble when outgoing packets get lost due to packet collision.

Tim.

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index