Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 16:22:26 -0800
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.dk
Cc:        j_mini@efn.org, FreeBSD current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Vendor-specific processor hacks

I don't feel like creating a long thread where we both keep saying 'you're
wrong, no you're wrong, no .. you're wrong' over and over again.

  My point is that creating a cpu vendor target as well as a cpu class target
will make a general enough method of determing the the types or processor hacks
to include, whithout requiring the user to keep track of all of those processor
specific hacks, and to know which ones affect what processors.

  You are saying that this is rediculous, and that tracking bugs on a
bug-by-bug basis is Good Enough.

  The question is whether or not a user should be required to keep track of all
of the bugs that have popped up for their specific processor and enable those
fixes. (or disable the ones that don't affect them)
  I say that this isn't very reasonable, and that the user should only be
required to keep track of his processor's make and model rather than all of the
specific mistakes that his vendor made.

  That is the debate in short. Considering that you and have are still certain
that we are right and the other guy is wrong, we probably go on about this for
dozens of messages. I'm hoping we won't. However, I am also hoping that you
will look to the future on this issue, to the point where there are dozens of
these vendor-specific bug fixes, and probably a dozen or so cpu classes.
  Everyone knows their processor's vendor and class, even the stupider users.

  Also, even though (replortedly) the current Pentium F00F bugfix doesn't have
a large perofrmance hit on the system, who's to say that others won't? Do we
want to go through the same debate we went over with the F00F bug about the
next bug that comes along?
  I would hope not, and with a processor class and vendor classification
method, the same issue wouldn't be an issue anymore,  because the code would be
able to conditionally compile out on everything but the specific type of
processor which it affects.

Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.dk> stands accused of saying:

--
Jonathan Mini 					Ingenious Productions
Software Development				P.O. Box 5693,

 "A child of five could understand this! Quick -- Fetch me a child of five."