Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 12:12:21 +1000
From:      Alastair Rankine <rankinea@mail.ns.wsa.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about NAT

Hi FreeBSD experts,

We have a bit of a problem with NAT at present, and I'm hoping someone can
suggest a solution.

We have two FreeBSD 2.2.1 boxes, "hoth" (at a branch office) and "andrew"
(at head office). Andrew has a Real Connection to the internet, and hoth
doesn't, so they are connected with a dial-on-demand PPP modem link.

The catch is that head office is on a different network to the branch
office, and we cannot change the routers which feed head office, so we are
using NAT (via the -alias option in user mode ppp) at hoth. We have a
static route to the branch office IP range set up on andrew.

This works for connections from hoth to andrew, but for some reason we
can't get connections going the other way. To be more specific, we can ping
any host on the branch office network from andrew, but we can't telnet or
make any other connection.

Is this a restriction of NAT or it's implementation? Or do we just have
something misconfigured somewhere?

Thanks for your time.

Alastair Rankine                          Ph: +61 2 9459 2500
Whitesmiths, Australia Pty Ltd           Fax: +61 2 9957 4369
Level 1, Suite 108                     email: rankinea@mail.ns.wsa.com.au
40 Miller St., North Sydney
New South Wales, Australia 2060