Date:      Mon, 07 Aug 2000 12:13:03 -0500
From:      Bob Van Valzah <Bob@WhiteBarn.Com>
To:        James FitzGibbon <james@targetnet.com>
Cc:        James FitzGibbon <james@ehlo.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VLAN Config Advice

James FitzGibbon wrote:

> I've done this with a 2924XL running IOS 12 and also with a 7204VXR running
> IOS 12.1.  I didn't use switchport trunk though; that's usually for trunking
> two physical ports into one virtual port so that you can have more than
> 100Mb/s bandwidth between two units (usually two switches).

I believe that "port grouping" is what Cisco calls it when multiple physical
ports are combined between switches. Grouping ports seems to be an independent
concept from trunking VLANs. This example would combine ports 21 and 22 into a
port group destined for another switch.

interface FastEthernet0/21
 port group 1
 switchport mode trunk
!
interface FastEthernet0/22
 port group 1
 switchport mode trunk

It looks to me like the grouped trunk ports above will default to ISL
encapsulation which won't work with FreeBSD AFIK.

> On the 2924XL, I use this type of config for a port which is just on one
> VLAN:
>
> interface FastEthernet0/1
>  switchport access vlan 1

I believe this generates untagged frames on the port for the statically assigned
VLAN.

> If the port is on multiple VLANs:
>
> interface FastEthernet0/1
>  switchport multi vlan 2,3

I went to try that and found that multi vlan conflicts with the nice VLAN
trunking I had in place between my switches. :-(

But I've found happiness with this simple rule: use dot1q encapsulation with
FreeBSD but configure VLAN 1 on the physical interface and all others on vlan
interfaces.

    Bob