Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 21:02:15 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        gordon rios <rios@ricochet.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Quick Question

gordon rios wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Sometimes in a directory I created from my home directory I get the error
> filename: not found.  Example:  I compile hello.c into hello using make
> (apparently successfully).  I then type hello at the prompt and get the
> message: "hello: not found"  I have checked various books, man pages,
> etc. and I am fairly sure I understand the basics of chmod, chown, etc.
> Can you help?
>
> Thanks,
> Gordon P. Rios

I've seen several replys about adding '.' (dot) to the PATH
statement, IMHO this really is not a good habbit to get into
especially for the 'root' user! Doing so is a potential
security risk!

I suggest just typing ./hello

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848