Date:      Fri, 4 Sep 1998 23:49:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to add route

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Wes Peters wrote:

> > > have you read http://www.netaxs.com/~freedman/multi.html?
> > > (that and other links at http://www.mindspring.com/~jlindsay/bgp.html)
> >
> >         Just read it... My concerns is not incoming packets not coming in
> > correctly since each CIDR/24 block comes in on the correct circuit as the
> > IPs belong to each provider.  What I want to know is how to set routes so
> > that depending on which CIDR/24 block a packet from my LAN is coming from,
> > which circuit it will use to get the packet out since right now, all
> > packets going out would be using only one circuit.
>
> One simple way to do this is to use two routers, one for each external
> interface.
> You can then select which circuit is used by pointing the default route
> on the  client machines at the appropriate router.  When using old PC hardware
> and FreeBSD, routers become pretty cheap.  ;^)

	I wouldn't say it's cheap since the ET 4 Port PCI card costed
close to $2500 plus the cost of the AMD K6-233 Machine with 128 megs of
RAM.  The interfaces are all part of the machine so it's not really
possible to use two routers unless each router did it's own T1.

> The other solution would be to NOT define a default route on the router,
> but rather to configure gated with both interfaces in Silent or Active
> mode, and let the learned routes take care of the problem for you.
> These would still be routed by destination, not by source, but the
> overall effect should be to balance the load according to the "costs" of
> the routes.

	Hmmm, this sounds like a idea but is there a good Gated resource
around?

> This conversation is much more appropriate for the freebsd-net mailing
> list, so I've cc'ed it over there.  Please rejoin the thread there, if
> necessary.

	This is a good point since it was on the wrong list originally.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]