Date:      Fri, 03 Oct 1997 12:35:09 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        gibbs@plutotech.com, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New SCSI Framework Patches Available

>On  2 Oct, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>> Supported peripherals:
>>
>> Direct Access driver (da):
>> 	512 byte sectored disk drivers.  Support for other sector sizes is
>> 	planned, but further investigation on the "right" approach for this
>> 	is needed.  It probably belongs in the disk-slice code.
>
>Pardon for the unhelpful intrusion, but could someone please explain
>the issue here?

The issue is that most of the system deals with devices in "DEV_BSIZE"
chunks (512bytes).  In the past, each device driver has had to perform some
amount of conversion if the device block size doesn't match that value.
Performing the conversion to block sizes that are a power of 2 isn't hard,
but in some cases, the block size is an "odd" value (Try writing audio
tracks to a WORM for instance).  I'd like to deal with this issue cleanly
and not require each and every device driver to handle this case on it's
own.

So, the question is how to best handle the problem?  NetBSD has a few PRs
in their gnats database that offer possible solutions.  I just haven't had
time to really consider the problem in detail and come up with a clean
approach.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations