Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2006 21:22:19 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        David Horis <dvdhoris@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Snap Server filesystem?

On 11/22/06 23:37, David Horis wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Note: This was originally posted to the freebsd-questions list...
>
> A Snap Server 1100 just died on me... (Single drive, FreeBSD-based, I think...)
>
> I think it's not HD related as I can't even get into to the hardware/bios reset mode.
>
> I called adaptec, but they were of no help.... No even to tell me what kind of filesystem is on the drive. They said that since it's an old product, my only choice is to send the device to an authorized data recovery firm... ~ 4k USD
>
> Have you folks ever heard of anyone opening one of these things up and mounting the drive on a regular PC?
>
> Since the drive probably has some coruption, due to the MB/OS crash, how would I go about fixing those before I mount the drive and try to copy off the files?
>
> I've tried accessing the drive via Knoppix and the GpartEd LiveCD... both see the disk, but report it to empty of partitions.
>
> I am unfamiliar with *nix, and am unsure what to try next.  If someone could provide guidance on this, it would be greatly appreciated.  :)

I don't know for sure, but I believe they use linux in those boxes.  The
first part of the drive is the OS, and then the remaining is used as the
data partition.  You can use testdisk to try to get the partitions back,
and it will automatically figure out what goes where for you.

Eric

An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions.