Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 10:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lousy disk perf. under cpu load (was IDE vs SCSI)

Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com> writes:

|> I have to say the same thing over here. IDE disk drives over here
|> tend to go belly up and my scsi drives tend to work a lot longer.
|>
|> >From The Desk Of "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" :
|> > The standard qualifiers apply.  This is one guys' experience, on a

I think the choir is in complete agreement on all the major points
discussed: SCSI is usually higher quality; SCSI usually has higher
performance; EIDE is usually cheaper; when the performance and quality
are about the same, usually the cost is about the same, too; SCSI
requires an extra controller, but, cheap NCR/Symbios controllers (e.g. $80)
make this mostly moot; most of us use IDE/EIDE at least sometimes on
legacy hardware, and even, for legacy-compatibility reasons, actually
buy EIDE occasionally, and so IDE/EIDE support is important anyway;
expandability, flexibility, tagged queueing, IRQ conservation, etc. etc.
all favor SCSI; cost, Wintel compatibility favor EIDE.  And now for the
obligatory confessional:  Speaking personally, I have always ended up
regretting every dime I have spent on (E)IDE, as opposed to SCSI,
as rational as it seemed at the moment I did it for perfectly good
at the time legacy-compatibility reasons.  So, if I were recommending
to someone, I would recommend SCSI.  (I have also regretted every ISA
card, and wish there were a "standard" PCI sound card.)  Of course,
IMHO, personal opinion, YMMV.  Now then:

There is one issue I would like to return to, and that is the question
originally posed: lousy disk performance under *some* circumstances.
(Which circumstances?)

"Mats Lofkvist" <mal@algonet.se> originally asked the question
in this thread, but, I have observed a problem, too, and, the
interesting thing is that not everybody seems to experience the
problem in the same way.  In my case, I am interested in improving
"make world" time.  I'm not in a position to reconfigure at the
moment, but, eventually, I will try switching Buslogic and NCR
controllers and see if the NCR driver's tagged queueing speeds
things up.  I will also add a separate /usr/obj partition/filesystem
which is expendable (mounted -o asynch,noatime), which reportedly
also speeds things up tremendously.

But, I'm also wondering if there are any kernel config options
or startup config options wrt filesystems, scheduler, or anything
else that might explain the large differences between what I and
some others experience and what some of you wizards out there are
getting (e.g. 1 to 1.5 hr elapsed time for "make world")?  Or is
the /usr/obj filesystem the only big optimization available?

-Hugh LaMaster

Corrections welcome.

  Hugh LaMaster, M/S 258-5,     ASCII Email:  hlamaster@mail.arc.nasa.gov
  NASA Ames Research Center     Or:           lamaster@nas.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000  No Junkmail:  USC 18 section 2701
  Phone:  415/604-1056          Disclaimer:   Unofficial, personal *opinion*.