Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 1995 14:41:13 -0500
From:      "Paul F. Werkowski" <pw@snoopy.MV.COM>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   SYSV{SHM|MSG} kills network??

Here is a strange problem to which I hope someone on this list knows
the answer.

	<trials and tribulations leading up to discovery omitted.>

I was running a stock 2.0 kernel connected to ethernet by DE435 PCI
NIC. Kernel was also built with SYSVSHM. This system got along just
fine on our small LAN. A few weeks ago I added options SYSVMSG and
SYSVSEM and rebuilt the kernel. The new system then had network
problems which caused repeated NFS hangs, etc. Ping from the FreeBSD
box to any other system resulted in OK performance for about 45
seconds followed by 45 seconds of lost packets, followed by 45 seconds
of ok response, followed by 45 seconds of lost packets, etc.. From
TCPDUMP it appeared that nothing was received for about 50% of the
time. Rebuilding the kernel without SYSVMSG and SYSVSEM returned the
network to OK performance.

So, is this fixed in -current or can anyone confirm this behavior?

Paul