Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 15:46:47 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Off-topic: IRIX 5.3

On Aug 08, 1998 at 11:55:04AM -0700, Bill Paul wrote:

> [ long, informational posting snipped ]
>
> Anyway. I have an IRIX 5.3 CD in my "wall 'o media" in my office, but
> I can't part with it as I need as I still have some machines running
> that OS release. Also, I don't believe the SGI license agreement allows
> selling the media unless it's part of a package deal including the
> workstation that it came with. I'd rather not give SGI an excuse to send
> their vicious lawyer hordes after me or Columbia.

Growl.  I have an Onyx2 here, so obviously I have no media license
for IRIX 5.3, and the machine probably won't run it anyway if I had
one.  SimOS distributes a modified IRIX 5.3 kernel, but you have to
get the rest of the support utilities (like init) from the CDROM.

Obviously, an IRIX 6.4 init won't work.  (I tried it anyway, it
definitely doesn't work.  Can you say  p a n i c ?)  SimOS does
support IRIX 6.4, but SGI won't give Stanford permission to
redistribute the modified kernel.

What am I supposed to do, buy an old SGI just to get the media?
Perhaps BEST has more ``boat anchors'' they want to get rid of?  :-)

I did call the SGI sales office, but they referred me to the local
SGI educational contact, who hasn't gotten back to me yet.

I bet that after all of this, I'm going to find that the simulator
doesn't do what I want anyway, making it all a bit of useless
tail-chasing.
--
Jonathan