Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 23:31:33 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NewComer Questions...

Simon Shapiro wrote:

> I am learning slowly, and just discovered this mailing list.
>
> In way of introduction, I am working on a high speed database
> engine for embedded telephony applications.
>
> We need to develop the following functionality:
>
> 1.  Multi-initiator support
I assume you mean in SCSI?
we ahve some basic support for that but it requires a  SCSI host
adapter that supports it.. it hasn't been exercised in years.
(I wrote it iwith Peter Dufault but it's a rarely used feature.
Or are you alking about several machines sharing a single bus?)

> 2.  DLM
Daringly Lowfat Milk?

> 3.  Non-stop operation
hmm this is a tricky one..
what's your definition of non-stop?

> 4.  Very large (hundreds of Gigabytes) databases
not un heard of.. we have several people into teh > 100MB range..
 it does scale, though I have some ideas of some little NITS that
will require hitting on the head.. i.e. nomenclomature things
not really technical limits.

> 5.  Very fast (400 I/O's per second sustained) databases.
we can get about 100 per disk so with 4 disks :)

> Because O/S source is very criticsl for such effort, the
> ``free'' ones area natural choice.
>
> After 2 years or more of Linux usage.  I decided (at least
> for now) to not use it.  FreeBSD seems very attractive.
That's why we use it..

> My questions to this forum are:
>
> 1.  Minor device designation for systems with up to 20 disk
>     controllers (PCI), FCAL interfaces (with over 100 targets
>     per bus.  controllers with multiple busses, etc.
your nomenclature is confusing me..
FCAL?

there are boards with 3 bosses an d2 bisses that are supported.
W can support PCI bridges to get more slots

> 2.  Naming conventions for /dev entries for such beasts.
/dev/{r}sd[0-9][0-9]
there is a limit at the moment to about 32 drives per machine
(I think) but it's a rather artificial limit
and could be removed relativly easily.

> 3.  Moving all SCSI devices to a /dev/{r}dsk...
not sure what you mean by this.....
if you don't like the names there is always mknod:)
(so that ca't be what you mean.. it's too easy)

> 4.  Any documents about SCSI HBA driver entry points
ah there's the rub..
I guess I'm going to have to write that one day..
6 years isn't too long is it? (since I wrote the code)

> 5.  Anyone interested in helping out
sure..

but it depends on what you want to do and how much work you are
willing to do yourself :)
I'm extremely busy these days.. but I can offer advice.

justin gibbs might also have good input for you as he's been the person
doing the  most work recently.