Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 00:11:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Stuck in "objtrm" - live kernel test to run

:Cute.  After the ps axlf, all the swapped out processes went from 0 to 8 KB
:resident.  But the stuck process stayed at 0 KB resident.  It wasn't
:swapped out anyway, according to the ps flags, so it should have had some
:resident pages.  Seems like a contradiction to me.
:
:Stephen.

    Yah.  the 'f' flag to ps is something I added a year or two ago.
    Previously ps was reading the process uareas by default, which would
    have the undesireable result of swapping every process in the system
    in.  The default is now to avoid reading the uarea unless the 'f' flag
    is specified.

    I'm trying to simulate your 486 setup.  You must love pain!  A make -j5
    buildworld on a 16MB-limited machine pages like hell (200-400 pageins/sec
    AND 200-400 pageouts/sec simultaniously, almost continuously).  Are you
    using any special sysctls or special kernel config options?

    Also, try the latest -CURRENT and see if you can still get it stuck in
    objtrm.  I haven't had any luck so far in my simulation.  If you still
    get stuck in objtrm then try Alan's patch and see if that has an effect.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>