Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:15:36 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        Nathan Dorfman <nathan@senate.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DES and IDEA

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Nathan Dorfman wrote:
> Hello I have a question about FreeBSD's crypt(). If I installed DES
> when I originally installed the system, does the crypt() use DES
> by default? Is my password file DES or IDEA? Example: if I run Crack
> will it use DES or IDEA? Thanks!

yes, once you install DES it will use DES no matter what, unless you
specify something else by passing crypt() a seed with the appropriate
prefix.  From the new crypt comments:

/*
// Assumptions made with the new crypt format ($xx$..$..), started
// by Poul-Henning Kamp:
//
//   + The version ($xx$) will be either a two to four alphanumeric
//     tag representing the encryption method, or a numeric version
//     (also representing the encryption method).  $1$ is MD5, $2$
//     is OpenBSD's Blowfish.  Also known alphanumeric tags are:
//     MD5, SHA1 and BF--although Blowfish support is not integrated.
//   + If the new format $xx$.. is specified, but the tag is not
//     recognized, crypt() will default to the best method (currently
//     SHA-1).  If new format is not specified, and DES is not
//     installed, the best method will also be used.  However, if
//     DES is installed, and the new format is not specified, it
//     will use DES.
//   + passwords beginning with $xx$ always specify the new crypt format.
//   + Salt may not include '$' in it's character set--check for
//     this in code calling crypt, or it will truncate the salt.
*/

Along the same lines (this is not quite as relevant to your question) once
this crypt() is integrated into the source tree, I also planned on
submitting some changes to passwd to read a config file (such as
/etc/passwd.conf) where it will get the default salt to use, so you can
install DES on your system for old password, and set /etc/passwd.conf to
use SHA1 encryption for any new crypt() calls, instead of defaulting to
DES for everything.

-Brandon Gillespie