Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 23:19:27 +0100
From:      marius@alchemy.franken.de
To:        "Oneill, John J" <john.j.oneill@intel.com>
Cc:        "'netchild@FreeBSD.org'" <netchild@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'ports@FreeBSD.org'" <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: icc-6.0.1.304

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:58:08AM -0800, Oneill, John J wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Intel 7.0 compilers added an option for -dynamic-linker to support
> FreeBSD.  7.0 compilers have recently become available, and I was wondering
> if you are able to directly generate executables.  Are there other features
> that would enhance using the Intel compilers under FreeBSD ?  FYI - I work

Hi!

The dynamic linker is just one problem when generating native FreeBSD
binaries among the other hardcoded options icc passes/passed to the
linker. The real problem are the libraries, the shared ones don't work
though it works quite well with modified static icc libraries. However
the Dinkumware STL is completely unusable on FreeBSD due to the entire
different ctype implementation on FreeBSD, we use STLport instead. All
in all quite hackish but works. The WIP icc7-port even works better due
to fixes from Intel and port-patches to fit the icc-headers better for
FreeBSD.
Have a look at the icc6-port to get an idea of the hacks and
modifications in order to produce native FreeBSD binaries.
The ifc6-port recently also was modified in a similar way (and thus
switched from producing Linux binaries to FreeBSD ones).

> for the Intel compiler support team.

Great, can you say something about the likelihood of a native FreeBSD
version of the compilers by Intel ? Personally I'd really buy it!

Marius