Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 23:22:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        Matt Prigge <prigge@bucknell.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More IPFW/natd trouble, but I'm close!

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Matt Prigge wrote:

> line referencing natd is not early enough in rc.firewall. all of your
> packets from the internal network are being forwarded before natd gets to
> change their network numbers (and no sane internet router will pass
> unregistered ip addresess). try putting "ipfw add divert natd all from any
> to any via vx0" right before "ipfw add 65000 pass all from any to any". If

You, my friend, are a genious!  That worked.  I did notice when I booted
my FreeBSD machine back up that the following message appeared in
/var/log/messages:

Oct 19 23:10:51 ds9 natd: failed to write packet back (No route to host)

I'm assuming that's probably because it was trying to talk to something
through vx0, which hadn't yet gotten its IP from the DHCP server.  Does
that sound about right?

Also, any ideas on how I could forward packets destined for a particular
hostname through my firewall and to the correct local host on my internal
network?

Thanks again for the help!