Date:      17 May 1996 07:43:41 -0500
From:      "Richard Wackerbarth" <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Michael Smith" <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Hackers" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Standard Shipping Containers

Michael Smith replies:

> Richard Wackerbarth stands accused of saying:
> > Here is what's broken:
> >
> > 1) For the new sup user to get started, sup has to download
> > the entire source tree, even though the user already has most
> > of it from the tarball or the CD.
>
> This is irrevocable.

No it is not! Think of the CD as a backup tape. If you put the appropriate
files on the CD, the user has EXACTLY the same thing he would have if he had
backed up his "up and running" sup'ped tree.
The next, or in this case first, time he updates, he retrieves ONLY the files
that have since changed.

>  The tree on the CD is on a dead-end branch, and
> can't trivially be bent back to either of the main threads without
> a monster master update.

Wrong! Compare the 1M src-2.1.0060C.gz file to the 28M A.gz file.
The savings are obvious.

> The proposal of putting the CVS repository on a/the CD is a much smarter
idea.  This would make it practical to check out part or all of the tree in a
state ready to be updated.

Not really. The CVS tree goes out of date faster than any other. As I see it,
any tree on a CD is really just a "backup". Either you are willing to work
with potentially out-of-date sources or you need to have the mechanism to use
that backup as a starting point to minimize the size of the update required.
What I am advocating is to create a unified distribution scheme so that the
user can choose the most appropriate means of update.

Also for most people, the CVS tree is a problem. Not only is it relatively
difficult to learn to use, but it requires two (plus) copies of the source,
the extracted copy and the cvs archive. This applies to EVERY file, even those
that the user never changes.

> What could be simpler?  ctm is fine for people who want read-only
> source,

People who "tinker" with their source tree and then use sup to restore it are
wasting valuable resources, bandwitch and "our" server's cpu time. Anyone who
has enough space to store both a tree and the routines that they have modified
should be treating the tree as read-only. How else are they going to generate
the "diff"s?
Remember that it does not require two copies of the tree. (See "lndir")

> and are willing to carry it all.

I agree that this is a weakness of the present ctm scheme. I am addressing it
also. The scheme that I have in mind would allow the user to choose his own
criteria for which portions of the tree he keeps. Right now, "mirror" is the
only mechanism that allows this possibility. With sup you are forced into
predefined categories and, as you point out, right now with ctm there is only
one category, the whole source tree.

> sup is much better for people who like to tinker with their tree.
>
> And consider this: if someone can't manage either ctm or sup, how
> the f* do you expect them to do anything useful with the source?

It's not a question of their ability. It is the ease of getting there. After
all, if you cannot master "ed",(forget "vi", it's too friendly), how can you
expect the user to configure a system?
The same applies to the source. I would venture a guess that the vast majority
of the users who obtain the source never submit enything back into the master
tree. They may only want the source because "it's nice to have", or they may
install a few changes, or build a custom kernel, but they don't write code to
enhance the system.

--

...computers in the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and weigh
only 1/2 tons.      --  Popular Mechanics, March 1949