Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:23:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   partition before or after gconcat?

I have 4 disks with around 1.5 TB available.

I will be dividing this up for a few different services. Each of these
will have a set amount of disk space.

I plan on using geom labeling and then use gconcat later if needing to add
new physical disks. (I have experience with glabel, gconcat and growfs but
not with huge disks.)

I need to have mounted file systems limited to certain amounts of
diskspace, such as my web server with only 20GB and a file server (on same
system) with only 150GB for example.

Should I use 1) bsdlabel to create partitions and use separate geom labels
for each? or 2) use bsdlabel on the geom label itself and then mount the
/dev/label/*[abd] partitions instead?

The procedure for adding new disk space to a partition should be same
easy. Both ways appear to work, but is one more reliable? Do any of you
actively use bsdlabel partitioned geom labels?

Thanks,

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo ':6DB6=88>?;@69876tA=AC8BB5tA6487><' | tr '4-F' 'wu rofIn.lkigemca'