Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 1995 16:04:29 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        richard@cogsci.edinburgh.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Binary compatibility with NetBSD

> The problem of course is shared libraries.  As far as I know, at the
> system call level the systems are almost completely compatible (and if
> they aren't, they should be).  But there's nothing official to
> distinguish whether a program uses FreeBSD or NetBSD shared libraries.

I spent a little time talking about this with Mike Karels (BSDI) and
Chris Demetriou (NetBSD).

The conclusion was that shared library compatability was a false grail
and should not be pursued.  It's hard, it's easily broken (meaning you
get stuck in this thankless loop of fixing it over and over again as
the libraries themselvse change) and in the case of BSDI, a rather
difficult target to hit anyway (they will have an entirely different
shared lib strategy).

I know it would be useful and make the users happy, but neither I nor
anybody else I know is willing to sign up for the work involved so it's
just better to assume it isn't going to happen.

					Jordan