Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:13:37 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chan Yiu Wah <c5666305@b1.hkstar.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what is the difference between aout & elf

On Tuesday, 29 September 1998 at 12:19:12 +0800, Chan Yiu Wah wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am newbie to aout and elf format.  I would like to know there differences.

ELF is a more extensible file format than a.out, which goes back 25
years.  In those days, dynamic libraries were unknown, and it was
enough to have three segments (text, data and bss).  When dynamic
libraries came along, *BSD was at first not able to use them.  Then
somebody introduced some kludges which did some of the things that
were needed, but not all.  ELF is a much newer format which allows
arbitrary segments, in particular for dynamic libraries.

> Why FreeBSD is trying to go elf ?

Well, FreeBSD isn't just trying, it's there in 3.0 (due to be released
in a little over two weeks).

Greg